Location(s) of Position(s)
21 Mar 2023
CAD Railway Industries
647 459 8320
Technical Writer Specialist
Cad Rail Industries Ltd was founded in 1968 headquartered in Montreal. We take pride on being North America’s leader of full-service solutions in the freight, passenger and commuter rail industries in Canada, the United States and offshore. Cad Rail has other facilities in Calgary, Lethbridge (under Caltrax banner) and has recently been selected by the ONxpress Transportation Partners association to provide all legacy fleet maintenance services for the Metrolinx rail fleet of approximately 1000 bi-level coaches and 90 locomotives. Cad rail’s delivery team will operate and maintain Metrolinx’s rail maintenance facilities in Etobicoke and Whitby, as well as in multiple overnight along with mid-day light servicing facilities located across the Metrolinx train service area.
Summary of the role:
The Technical Writer Specialist will be responsible for all aspects of the research and writing of technical procedures and related documentation for Metrolinx’s Legacy Fleet Maintenance operations.
This individual will collaborate with the management team, customers, suppliers, partners and involved stakeholders.
Reporting to the Reliability Centered Maintenance and Engineering Manager, will be accountable for the research, planning and writing of operational data. This will be done through the use of multiple sources while ensuring adherence to industry, regulatory and departmental specifications and processes.
- Confirm that all HSE policies, processes and procedures are being complied
- Research, plan and write technical operational data using engineering and approved data. Revise technical maintenance data as required
- Validate and incorporate rail equipment into standards/guidelines
- Read and interpret engineering drawings and documents
- Plan, perform and document procedural validations per departmental standards/guidelines
- Responsible for the creation, updating and management of all Rail Maintenance instructions, Operating Procedures, Maintenance Circulars and Equipment Manuals
- Ability to review all maintenance instructions and operating procedures to identify means of optimizing work, material usage and performance
- Ability to develop KPI’s and present data
- Work with the team to prepare and create recurrent reports that are requested by operations or higher
- Comply with the company’s applicable policies and procedures as well as human resources’ guidelines.
- Ability to build strong rapport with the team and unionized maintenance personnel
- 3 to 5 years in Technical Publications or a related field
- Strong writing skills with a background in research and complying of data
- Extensive background of accomplishing business strategies
- Diploma or degree in related field
Nice to have:
- Experience working in an unionized environment
- Familiarity with related industries such as Aerospace
- Previous experience working in the passenger/rail transit industry is an asset
Cad Rail Industries Ltd. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Cad Rail Industries Ltd. provides an equal opportunity as an employer and we are dedicated to continue to preserve a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment for every individual- no matter of age, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion and disability status.