12 Aug 2020
Customer Site Manager
GATX: Who are we?
We are known worldwide as a leader in leasing transportation assets and control one of the largest railcar fleets in the world. The key to our long-term growth and success is attracting and retaining the most talented people from around the world.
We seek individuals who are creative, intuitive, driven, intellectually curious and eager to join a dynamic organization where high-quality work, collaboration and dedication are deeply woven into the corporate culture.
How will you make an impact?
The Customer Site Manager is responsible for the overall performance of the customer site including the development and implementation of strategic and tactical plans, programs and processes that ensure achievement of the location’s Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost objectives. The Customer Site Manager leads the location through Goal Deployment and Continuous Improvement efforts directed at creating business and process improvements. This person will use a Continuous Improvement mindset along with the SQDC methodology to lead and prioritize the team efforts.
What will you do?
- Develops and implements plans that enable the customer site to meet or exceed budgeted performance expectations.
- Drives continuous improvement efforts and good problem-solving skills by using SQDC methodology. Fosters a culture of proactive identification of issues and successful root cause and corrective action that supports GATX’s commitment to safety and quality.
- Drives Goal Deployment – sets targets, initiatives and accountabilities relative to Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost.
- Develops strong cost focus within the field services location by monitoring and managing cost structures to budgetary guidelines.
- Organizes develops and motivates the workforce so as to maximize its operating effectiveness.
- Prioritizes work for the location based on customer commitments. Uses list of daily repairs, customer commitments and employee skill level to determine work assignments. Actively participates in making repairs as required.
- Develops and implements effective communication processes that align the location with the company’s performance requirements.
- Develops strong working relationships with key internal and external customers so as to align with the customer site with the key business needs. Fosters an environment where additional business growth may be provided for GATX customers.
- Provides clear, proactive leadership to all direct reports and staff that aims to create and foster a sense of urgency that embraces positive change within the location and meets customer’s expectations.
- Recruits, hires, mentors, manages and trains employees. Administers human resource policies and procedures, e.g. staffing, attendance, payroll, performance issues, and training.
- Manages the required certifications of the existing workforce and location.
What should you bring to the table?
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), or the ability to obtain, preferred.
- Ability to pass a DOT (or applicable Canadian province) mandated physical required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, in English required.
- Background in railcar inspection and repair of all car types required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience and/or training required.
- Direct supervisory experience required.
- Experience with budgeting, forecasting, and managing profit and loss statements required.
- Knowledge of AAR, FRA and GATX railcar maintenance standards required.
- AAR Basic Auditor Certification or the ability to obtain it within 1 year required.
- Computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) required.
- Weld Facilitator preferred.
- Ability and willingness to meet all customer suitability requirements required.
What are we looking for?
- Drive location’s compliance with all Safety Rules and Procedures
- Drive location’s compliance with GATX, Regulatory and Customer Procedures
- Effective communicator and trainer; able to clearly and professionally articulate business requirements.
- Strong Planning, Prioritization and Organization Skills
- Results Driven and Self–starter
- Demonstrate Critical Decision-making ability
- Specific computer knowledge of GATX Safety, Quality and Engineering systems, AAR TCID, Railinc, AAR MSRPs, AAR Circulars, Customer and other related computer systems and software.
- Demonstrate ability to Develop and Mentor Others
- Build and Foster Team Environment
- Build strong professional relationships
- Strong analytical skills; ability to collect, analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data; apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify root causes using data.
- Build trust and commitment within the location and organization.
- Manage the location with clear understanding of financial aspects of the business
- Customer Service
- Must be available to travel as needed
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights
- Must be able to work occasionally in extreme temperature environments
- Must be able to routinely work near moving mechanical parts and equipment
GATX embraces diversity and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.