15 Apr 2020
Track Laborer- (HIRING FOR THE NEXT SEASON)
Business Unit: HTEC - Holland Turnkey Engineering & Construction
Req ID: 1692
Holland LP provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, citizen status, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, disability, sex, marital status, military status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local employment laws or regulations in every location in which the company has facilities.
The HTEC Track Laborer will work as a member of a crew to install new railroad track, maintain existing track and right-of-way.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in group discussions including unit meetings, job briefings, safety meetings or process reviews.
- Remove and replace track and track components (e.g. ties, rails, bars, etc.)
- Replace or repair track switches with specific components.
- Slide and align tie plates.
- Drill holes through rails for insertion of bolts and tighten or loosen bolts at joints that hold ends or rails together.
- Cut rails to specific lengths.
- Receive instructions, requests, orders, and information.
- Adjust, lift and roll rails.
- Sort track material for loading and unloading.
- Install and repair street and railroad crossings.
- Cut brush and vegetation from the right-of-way.
- Spray switches, angle bars and joints with oil for lubrication.
- Install and remove rail anchors with hand tools.
- Drive spikes with a spike maul.
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries.
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to climb in and out of various equipment.
- Heavy work, lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally, up to 100 pounds on a rare basis.
- Stoop / bend / kneel / crouch / balance / climb on an occasional basis.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor on an occasional basis.
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, safety-toe boots, and safety glasses.
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Outside work experience (e.g. construction, heavy equipment operation, farming, landscaping)
- Must be willing to travel utilizing your personal vehicle extensively as well as other modes of transportation to the worksite(s).
- Complete annual training and pass safety and track worker rules examinations.
- Must pass all required assessments.
- 18 years of age or older.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time to add or remove tasks as circumstances change, (e.g. emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs or technical developments).
About the Company…
Holland L.P. is a $275mm organization headquartered in Crete, IL. We have over 1,200 employees who provide a variety of contract services within the railroad industry in North America. We strive to set industry standards for both our service expertise and our equipment in fulfilling our mission outlined in our slogan, A Rail Solutions Partnership Unlike Any Other. In addition, Holland designs and manufactures equipment and products for utilization by our railroad customers, both domestically and internationally. Our leadership decisions are guided by our core values, which are: Respect, Family, Partnership, Improvement and Integrity. Holland Company is wholly-owned by The Curran Group, a privately-held holding company located in Crystal Lake, IL.
Please click the button at the bottom of the page to apply online