Minister Garneau achieves another milestone in developing a long-term agenda for transportation in Canada
July 21, 2016 – Winnipeg – Transport Canada
The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, was in Winnipeg today to wrap up a series of roundtables that gave Canadians in diverse communities across Canada the chance to have their say in how Canada's transportation system will serve them in the future.
In April 2016, the Minister launched a public consultation with Canadians, stakeholders, and provinces and territories to hear their views and discuss ideas to develop a long-term agenda for transportation in Canada.
As part of this consultation process, the Minister travelled over 18,000 kilometres from coast to coast to host eight roundtables with more than one hundred key industry representatives, academia and thinkers, and Indigenous groups across Canada. The discussions focused on the following five themes:
- Safer transportation;
- Trade corridors to global markets;
- Green and innovative transportation;
- The traveller; and,
- Waterways, coasts and the North.
Discussions highlighted the importance of understanding the complexity of the integrated national transportation system, in order to find good solutions that will best serve Canadians, travellers and shippers. They provided valuable input such as the need to:
- Promote collaboration between all partners and align limited resources.
- Look at how the multimodal transportation system functions as a whole to move freight and passengers efficiently, safely and sustainably.
- Adopt a long-term view in terms of funding, policy, regulations, and support for innovation over time.
- Rely upon market forces where possible and apply incentives or regulations as required to address gaps.
- Continue to gather transportation data to ensure better and timely evidence for decision-making.
An online discussion on the theme of "The Passenger" was also held in June 2016 where the Minister invited all Canadians to discuss issues affecting passengers.
As part of this consultation process, Minister Garneau will meet with his provincial and territorial counterparts in late September to discuss opportunities and priority areas of collaboration to enhance Canada's transportation system.
- There are three ways Canadians can participate in these consultations:
- complete an online survey;
- write on Transport Canada's Facebook and Twitter accounts; and,
- send comments and ideas to TC.Transportationfuture-Lefuturdestransports.TC@tc.gc.ca.
- Participant lists, discussion guides and summaries of each roundtable are posted on Transport Canada's website as they are finalized.
"I wanted to hear from Canadians and the feedback I have heard during these past months has been incredibly valuable. This rich and diversified input will play a major role in defining my agenda for transportation in Canada. I thank everyone who has participated and provided feedback and I invite those who have not had the opportunity to do so to send me their input before September 16, 2016."
The Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport
- Webpage of the future of transportation in Canada consultation initiative
- Minister's speech to the Economic Club of Canada on April 27, 2016
- Minister of Transport's mandate letter
- Canadian Transportation Act Review Report
Office of the Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport, Ottawa
Transport Canada, Ottawa
Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to e-news or stay connected through RSS, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Flickr to keep up to date on the latest from Transport Canada.
This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.
The CARS 9th Annual Golf Tournament Tickets Over 70% Sold Out!
CARS 9th Annual Golf Tournament will take place at Beaconsfield Golf Club in Beaconsfield, Quebec on August 29th, 2023. Sponsorship Sales NOW OPEN Ticket and...
Current Rail/Transit Bids
For a few of the current rail/transit bids, please click the links below: Common Heavy Equipment Replacement (CHER) project - Bundle 7...
AGM Registration Now Open
Registration is now open! Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of the Canadian Association of Railway Suppliers will be held online on June 6th, 2023,...